ICC Slams US Sanctions on Court as 'Flagrant Attack'

11 hours ago 29

August 20, 2026 | 06:31 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Wednesday condemned US sanctions against the body's president, President Tomoko Akane of Japan, and trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal.

"These sanctions are a flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution," the Hague-based court said in a statement.

It said that the US sanctions "undermine the rule of law" and jeopardize the international legal order.

The court stressed it would "continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality, in full accordance with the Rome Statute and in the interest of victims of international crimes."

Though the United States signed in 2000 the Rome Statute that established the court in 2002, it never ratified it and under President Donald Trump, Washington accuses the court of being "politicized."

The ICC prosecutes war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.

EU, Japan show support for ICC

The European Union and several of its member states threw their weight behind the ICC.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Antonio Costa said they "stand firmly" with the court in identical statements on their X accounts.

"The ICC helps deliver justice to the victims of some of the world's most horrific crimes," they said. "To carry out this essential work, its judges and officials must be able to act independently and without external pressure."

Meanwhile, German Justice Minister Stefanie Hubig said she considered it "deeply distressing that it is the US of all countries that is launching a frontal attack on international criminal law."

She pointed out that the US helped establish the concept of international criminal law in the Nuremberg trials against members of Germany's Nazi regime.

"These US sanctions reflect contempt for the idea of the rule of law that cannot be reconciled with this tradition."

France also condemned the sanctions in a Wednesday statement.

"France condemns all of threats and means of coercion taken against the Court, its staff and the civil society organizations which support it," a statement from the spokesperson of the French Foreign Ministry said.

"France expresses its solidarity toward those magistrates targeted," it said.

Japanese Foreign Ministry Press Secretary Toshihiro Kitamura described the sanctions as "very unfortunate."

Japan is the biggest funder of the court.

The US sanctions were also condemned by the Netherlands, which hosts the court, and Spain, as well as the United Nations.

Why did the United States sanction the ICC?

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the sanctions on Tuesday, saying he was acting under authority of an executive order signed by President Trump.

He described the measure as part of an "unwavering mission to protect Americans from this sham of a court."

"These individuals," said Rubio, "have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC ."

Last month, Rubio said the Trump administration would step up its efforts to dismantle the ICC, including a diplomatic campaign for other countries to leave the court.

In 2024, the ICC issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant.

The move was condemned by the United States, with Trump accusing the court of "illegitimate and baseless actions targeting America and our close ally Israel." Like the US, Israel has also never ratified the Rome Statute and is therefore not an ICC state party.

The court also issued or planned to issue arrest warrants for several now deceased Hamas leading officials.

Read: US Imposes New Sanctions on ICC President, Senior Lawyer

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


US Imposes New Sanctions on ICC President, Senior Lawyer

1 hari lalu

US Imposes New Sanctions on ICC President, Senior Lawyer

The US has announced it will impose additional sanctions on members of the International Criminal Court (ICC).


US Urges Latin American Nations to Leave ICC

6 hari lalu

US Urges Latin American Nations to Leave ICC

US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth urged Latin American ACCC members to leave the ICC, accusing the court of undermining national sovereignty.


NYT: Netanyahu, Lindsey Graham Allegedly Conspired to Weaken the ICC

20 hari lalu

NYT: Netanyahu, Lindsey Graham Allegedly Conspired to Weaken the ICC

Prime Minister Netanyahu and U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham were reportedly colluding to discredit the ICC ahead of the 2024 U.S. election.


Chad's Government Says It's Withdrawing from the ICC

23 hari lalu

Chad's Government Says It's Withdrawing from the ICC

Chad's Foreign Ministry has announced plans to leave the International Criminal Court. It said that its effectiveness was "limited and uneven."


Venezuela to Quit International Criminal Court

25 hari lalu

Venezuela to Quit International Criminal Court

Venezuela announced on Friday, July 24, that it would withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC).


ICC Votes to Dismiss Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan

26 hari lalu

ICC Votes to Dismiss Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan

Members of the International Criminal Court have voted to remove Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan amid allegations of sexual misconduct.


Why the US Is Going After the International Criminal Court

32 hari lalu

Why the US Is Going After the International Criminal Court

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has ramped up his criticism of the International Criminal Court in The Hague.


Why Are ICC Judges Suing Trump Over Sanctions?

54 hari lalu

Why Are ICC Judges Suing Trump Over Sanctions?

Three ICC judges have filed a lawsuit against U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration, challenging sanctions against them.


Indonesian Cricket Wins 3 Regional ICC Awards, Reaches Global Stage

7 Juni 2026

Indonesian Cricket Wins 3 Regional ICC Awards, Reaches Global Stage

Indonesian cricket won three regional categories at the 2025 ICC Development Awards and advanced to four global award categories.


Gunshots Heard at Philippine Senate as ICC Arrest Expected

13 Mei 2026

Gunshots Heard at Philippine Senate as ICC Arrest Expected

Gunshots reported inside the Philippine Senate as armed troops entered, amid an ICC arrest warrant targeting a senator.


Read Entire Article
Pemilu | Tempo | |