
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Pentagon on Tuesday said that it was reducing the number of U.S. Army Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) in Europe from three to four, according to DW.
The chief Pentagon spokesperson, Sean Parnell, said in a statement that the U.S. was reducing the number of its soldiers on the continent as a result of a "comprehensive, multilayered process" focused on U.S. posture in Europe.
A BCT comprises 4,000 to 4,700 personnel, according to a congressional report.
The cut brings U.S. soldiers stationed on the continent to 2021 levels, Parnell said. The U.S. sent additional troops to Europe after Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
Why is the U.S. reducing troops in Europe under Trump?
The latest announcement is in line with U.S. President Donald Trump's broader policy toward Europe.
Since returning to the White House last year, Trump has made clear that he expects European countries to take over more responsibility for the continent's security from the U.S.
The urgency of the matter has been exacerbated by several blows to the transatlantic relationship, most notably Trump's attempt to take control of the Arctic island of Greenland, an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark.
Parnell said that the decision to reduce U.S. troops is "designed to advance President Trump's America First agenda in Europe and other theaters, including by incentivizing and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe’s conventional defense."
U.S. delays deployment to Poland
Vice President JD Vance told reporters earlier on Tuesday that a U.S. troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.
Parnell confirmed the news in his statement, citing the "temporary delay" as a result of a reduction of brigade combat teams to Europe.
"The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense," Parnell said.
Earlier this month, the Pentagon announced that it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany. The move followed a public spat between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who criticized the U.S. war on Iran and said Washington was being "humiliated" in negotiations with Tehran, drawing Trump's ire.
The top U.S. military commander in Europe said on Tuesday that the bulk of U.S. troops withdrawn from Europe are being drawn from an armored brigade that was in the process of deploying to Poland as opposed to yanking forces already stationed in Poland and Germany.
Read: US Stops Poland Troop Deployment After Germany Pullout Order
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
US Stops Poland Troop Deployment After Germany Pullout Order
4 hari lalu

Both Democratic and Republican lawmakers in the US have criticized the Trump administration's plans to cancel a troop deployment to Poland.
Fact Check: Video Does Not Show Indonesia at War With Israel
6 hari lalu

Tempo's fact-check team found that Indonesia has never deployed armed troops to fight against Israel.
Indonesia to Deploy 742 Peacekeeping Troops to Lebanon
8 hari lalu

The 742 Indonesian military personnel are set to rotate and replace the troops currently stationed in Lebanon.
Fact Check: Video Claiming US Troops Captured by Iran Is Fake
25 hari lalu

Tempo's fact-check team found that the photo compilation was created by AI.
Fact Check: No Evidence 4,000 US Troops Killed at Ben Gurion Airport
38 hari lalu

Fact check - In fact, some of those video clips have nothing to do with the Iranian attack on Ben Gurion Airport in Israel.
US Confirms American Troops Killed, Wounded in Iran Clashes
2 Maret 2026

The US confirmed its first combat casualties a day after launching its campaign against Iran.
Defense Ministry Affirms Constitutional Basis for TNI Mission to Gaza
28 Februari 2026

The Ministry of Defense stated that the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) deployment to Gaza follows the Constitution.
Indonesia Sets Four National Limits for ISF Mission in Gaza
23 Februari 2026

Indonesia was selected as the ISF deputy commander of the mission in the Gaza Strip.
Indonesia Claims ISF Participation in Gaza Gains Palestine 'Consent'
19 Februari 2026

Indonesia earlier announced plans to send around 8,000 personnel to join the peacekeeping mission in Gaza.
Indonesian Armed Forces in Gaza Will Not Be Involved in Combat, Says Gov't
15 Februari 2026

The Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI), which will be deployed to Gaza, Palestine, will not be involved in any combat operations.

















































