August 20, 2026 | 04:44 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Indonesia is focusing on leveraging its existing national capacity and resources to mitigate the impact of the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that recently struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Thus, foreign assistance is not yet required, said the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
"We are focusing on fulfilling the needs of affected communities through existing national capacity and resources," said ministry spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang at a media briefing in Jakarta on Thursda, August 20, 2026.
Nevertheless, Indonesia extends its appreciation for the attention and expressions of solidarity from friendly countries in relation to the disaster in NTT, as well as offers to aid the victims and post-disaster restoration.
According to Yvonne, Foreign Minister Sugiono has personally reached out to several foreign ambassadors to thank them for their concern.
"We consider this very meaningful for us during this difficult time," she said.
When asked whether aid for earthquake victims would be discussed during the meeting between Sugiono and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi at the Indonesia-China Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue (CSD) on Friday, Yvonne stated that the matter would be discussed further.
Previously, at a press conference in Beijing on Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian stated that the Chinese government continued to monitor developments related to the earthquake disaster, before later expressing its willingness to assist with disaster recovery in Indonesia.
Lin Jian confirmed that several Chinese citizens were injured in the earthquake in NTT.
The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) reported that the earthquake death toll reached 71 as of Wednesday.
Acting Head of the BNPB Disaster Data, Information, and Communication Center, Berton SP Panjaitan, added that as of Tuesday evening, the total aid sent as of August 18 reached 398 tons, with logistics sent by air reaching 165 tons.
Read: NTT Earthquake Victims Block Road over Lack of Aid
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
UI Students Join VP Gibran to Visit Quake-Hit Region
2 jam lalu

VP Gibran invited the students to assist with trauma healing for victims in disaster areas.
Fact Check: Video of Tsunami in NTT After M7.7 Earthquake
5 jam lalu

Tempo's fact check team verified that circulating video claiming to show a tsunami in Labuan Bajo after the M7.7 NTT earthquake is false.
NTT Earthquake Victims Block Road over Lack of Aid
6 jam lalu

Dozens of residents in Ladur and Riung villages, NTT, blocked a highway on Wednesday to protest the lack of earthquake aid.
M5.7 Earthquake Strikes NTT Again Wednesday Night
9 jam lalu

A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck Ruteng, NTT, on Wednesday night, as BMKG warned that aftershocks could continue for up to four weeks.
Flores Earthquake Death Toll Reaches 71 as Aid Efforts Continue
21 jam lalu

The death toll from earthquakes in East Nusa Tenggara has risen to 71, with nearly 60,000 people displaced as relief efforts continue.
Flores Quake: Surgeries Held in Emergency Tents, Health Minister Says
1 hari lalu

The presence of orthopedic specialists at the earthquake disaster site is essential for patients to receive prompt medical care in Flores, NTT.
Shakira Visits Colombia, Pledges $1.25mn to Rebuild Schools
1 hari lalu

Following a deadly 7.4-magnitude earthquake in Colombia, Shakira visited Choc to pledge $1.25 million to the reconstruction of local schools.
Palace Plans Prabowo's Visit to Earthquake-Hit Flores
1 hari lalu

State Secretary Minister said President Prabowo has yet to visit the disaster site in person, but emergency response efforts are actively managed.
PLN Restores Electricity Across Flores After 7.7-Magnitude Earthquake
1 hari lalu

PLN has fully restored electricity across Flores after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake, deploying 1,144 personnel to repair the damaged power system.
Indonesia Sets Up Seven Public Kitchens for 31,000 NTT Earthquake Evacuees
1 hari lalu

Indonesia has set up seven public kitchens and provided 48 tons of rice and 7,500 food packages for more than 31,000 NTT earthquake evacuees.

















































