Iran has decided to boycott the highly-anticipated 2026 World Cup draw in Washington DC next week because the US denied visas to members of its delegation.
The state-run IRNA news agency quoted Iranian soccer federation spokesman Amir-Mahdi Alavi as saying that officials faced visa obstacles that go beyond sports considerations.
There was no immediate comment from the White House.
Alavi said the federation had reached out to FIFA and hoped it could help resolve the issue. Soccer's ruling body didn't immediately reply to a request for comment.
President Donald Trump's administration announced in June a travel ban on citizens from 12 countries including Iran. The list also included Haiti, which last week qualified for the World Cup.
Exemptions, however, were promised for 'any athlete or member of an athletic team, including coaches, persons performing a necessary support role, and immediate relatives, traveling for the World Cup, Olympics, or other major sporting event as determined by the secretary of state.'
Gianni Infantino will be front and center next week at the 2026 World Cup draw in Washington
Donald Trump's administration issued travel bans to 12 countries, including Iran
It is unclear whether the exemptions also apply to the World Cup draw, which takes place on December 5 at the Kennedy Center.
The Iranian delegation would have been expected to be led by its soccer federation president Mehdi Taj, one of the most senior officials in Asian soccer and a member of two FIFA committees that have oversight of the World Cup.
He is one of the vice presidents of the Asian Football Confederation and a member of FIFA panels with responsibility for the ruling body´s competitions, plus men´s national team soccer in general.
A record 48 teams will participate in the June 11-July 19 World Cup co-hosted by the the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
The Iranian delegation would have been led by its soccer federation president Mehdi Taj
Iranians protest against Trump and Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tehran
Of those 48, the nations hit with a travel ban are: Afghanistan, Myanmar, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
Trump's administration claimed that Iran is 'the source of significant terrorism around the world', and has 'historically failed to accept back its removable nationals.'
FIFA did previously reassure Iranian soccer fans about the team's ability to play matches - even without fans in the stands in the US.
'We already have assurances from all three governments that teams that qualify will be allowed to come in and participate,' FIFA vice president Victor Montagliani said.

1 day ago
26

















































