TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The demonstration wave in Jakarta, Indonesia, has escalated over the past few days. Vandalism of public facilities amid mass protest, such as TransJakarta bus shelters and other amenities, has been inevitable. Furthermore, the masses also looted the houses of House of Representatives (DPR) members who mocked the people such as Ahmad Sahroni, Eko Patrio, and Uya Kuya.
Previously, DPR member Ahmad Sahroni called the people who wanted to disband the House of Representatives stupid. Other DPR members such as Eko Patrio and Uya Kuya mocked the people by dancing on their social media account. Eko Patrio was shown as a DJ and playing a song that made his staff dancing and raving in a meeting room. Uya Kuya was shown dancing by himself with a caption: "just dance with it, you guys thought that Rp3 million a day was a lot."
Just recently, DPR member was proposed to have a ridiculous increase in their allowances, amounting to Rp50 million (US$3.042,17) per month, ten times the minimum wage in Jakarta, coupled with existing food, transportation, and basic salary allowances. This increase has sparked public outrage.
In response to the vandalism of public facilities, the Jakarta Provincial Government invites the public to express their aspirations within the boundaries of the law. Public facilities are owned collectively and utilized for the benefit of all citizens.
"The same goes for houses or personal residences of fellow citizens, which of course we must collectively safeguard," said Special Staff for Public Communication of the Jakarta Governor, Chico Hakim, when contacted by Tempo on Sunday, August 31, 2025.
Chico stated that Governor Pramono Anung invites the public, government, and all stakeholders in Jakarta to collectively maintain the city's conducive atmosphere. He hopes that there will be no more negative effects from the wave of protests, and all facilities can fully recover so that citizens can resume normal activities.
"So that we can carry out normal activities in the days to come," he said.
Meanwhile, the house of Ahmad Sahroni, former Vice-Chair of the DPR Commission III before being reassigned as a member of Commission I, was looted by hundreds of people. Around 5:30 PM, last Saturday, the masses began to storm his residence in the Tanjung Priok area, North Jakarta. They looted several items belonging to the legislator, ranging from chairs, wardrobes, mattresses, wristwatches, cash, refrigerators, to a safe containing dollar bills.
At almost the same time, different groups of people visited the house of Eko Patrio located in Jalan Karang Asem I, Kuningan, Setiabudi, South Jakarta, and the house of Uya Kuya in the Duren Sawit area, East Jakarta. During midnight, they took away all the belongings and even the pet cat at their houses.
Additionally, a group of people also looted the house of Finance Minister Sri Mulyani in Bintaro, South Tangerang.
Then, as of last Saturday, several TransJakarta bus shelters suffered damage due to the mass protests in various areas of Jakarta. As a result, the operation of TransJakarta buses today has been altered.
"As of Saturday morning, there were seven bus shelters set on fire by irresponsible individuals," said the Head of the Department of Public Relations and CSR of TransJakarta, Ayu Wardhani, when contacted on Saturday, August 30, 2025.
Ayu detailed the list of shelters burned by the masses: Senayan Roundabout Shelter, Pemuda Pramuka Shelter, Jakarta Metro Police Shelter, Senen Toyota Rangga Shelter, Sentral Senen Shelter, Senayan Bank DKI Shelter, and Pemuda Gate Shelter.
As a result of the arsons, TransJakarta decided not to serve passengers on Saturday morning. "Considering various factors and the conditions in the field, we have yet to operate normally and serve customers," said Ayu.
Dian Rahma Fika and Oyuk Ivani contributed to the writing of this article.
Editor's Choice: East Java Governor Residence Complex in Surabaya Set on Fire, Looted by Mob
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News